Friday, November 03, 2006

another broken season

Almost everyone will agree to this. Supporting a losing team is so much harder than a winning team. Especially when the team has big expectations riding on their back in the beginning of the season.

I think it's fairly safe to say that Purdue Boilermakers' football team is almost over. True, we might still be able to finish the season with a winning record and go to some medicre bowl at the end of the year. But, after last week 12-0 loss against Penn St, upcoming victories might not have much meaning. It was just horrible. I'm not going to post any pictures this week since, let's face it, there are NO worthy photos worth of display. I looked over the photos taken during the game, and it was just dreadful. Not the quality of the pictures, mind you, but you can almost feel the pain and agony that's facing this young football team.

As I walk through the gate after the game ends, I heard some students said that it was the worst game ever happening at the Ross Ade stadium. I couldn't agree more. 3 points in the last two matches? Guys, this is not soccer!!

The story is always the same.

2004: Purdue went to 5-0 then dropped the next 4 games. Some of my friends decided not to attend the next game, which is Ohio St (we won that game though, and it was quote nice since Ohio St was pretty good that year)

2005: Just plain horrible. Purdue finished 5-6. First losing season in 8 years (need to double check on this). Again, some chose not to attend, giving opportunities for some other people to go.

2006: Three of my friends decided not to show up for the Penn St game. Totally understandable. I mean, who can stand a losing team right? Especially after the beating by Wisconsin. I however, decided to go.

Then it occurs to my mind. Supporting a team is just the same as experiencing life. There's ups and downs. Some seasons have more ups than downs, and vice versa. Some people will experience it more at some period, and some people will not. Some people will experience glory at least once, some people will never during their entire lifespan.

And again, however you want your team to win, there's only so little you can do to help them. Same as in life, you just have to try to do the best you can, and let god do the rest.

I can go on and on about this matter, but I'm expecting a call from a company in approx. 8 minutes, so I'm just going to say one last thing.

Either it is supporting your favorite team, or in life,

.... don't be pessimistic, but be REALISTIC.

Have a good weekend.

0 comments: